South West Early Years is a group of parents, educators, librarians, health and child care providers, service organizations, and other community partners who alongside Early Childhood Coalitions of Alberta (ECCA), who now represents the nearly 100 coalitions across Alberta.ECCA helps to build awareness, capacity and momentum at a provincial and community level to enhance children’s well-being and development through a community development approach. ECCA has a high level of engagement from communities and organizations across Alberta. While every Coalition has their own unique story to share, collectively we are creating connected, caring and informed communities. Each action, conversation and collaboration on behalf of children and families makes a difference in the provincial landscape.
We are committed to making a positive difference for young children in Southwest Edmonton. Please join us! Anyone with an interest in promoting and supporting early childhood development is welcome to attend our meetings, join us at events to lend a hand, find us on Facebook, and/or be on our e-mail list to receive news of upcoming events, new resource links, and news of what we are up to.
Contact us at email@example.com any time!
Our Mission is to:
- Inspire Momentum about the importance of the early years
- Improve Outcomes in early development for children in Southwest Edmonton
- Build Capacity in the community to support early childhood development in Southwest Edmonton and ensure long-term sustainability of this support and of SWEY
The values that drive us include:
- Collaboration and cooperation in the community in sustained commitment to supporting children in reaching their full potential
- Responsive leadership
- Nurturing and inclusive relationships and universal accessibility
Our goals are to:
- Inspire a momentum in Southwest Edmonton about the importance of the early years and the community’s role in both supporting its children in their early years and encouraging ideal early childhood development
- Improve early development outcomes for children in Southwest Edmonton by reducing or eliminating the circumstances that contribute to children experiencing difficulty in meeting developmental milestones as they enter Kindergarten
- Build capacity and knowledge in parents, caregivers, preschool educators, policy makers and community members across Southwest Edmonton about how to recognize and enhance early childhood development for the children in their care
Our Wish for Every Child in Southwest Edmonton
A full belly, the chance to run and jump and play every day, a story every night, help when and if and as soon as he or she needs it…and loads and loads of love. ~Catherine Ripley, former SWEY co-chair
What do we Know?
What do these Results Tell Us?They tell us that we can do better. The 2014 EDI results tell us that 54.6% of children in Southwest Edmonton are demonstrating the skills and abilities we would expect them to by the time they start kindergarten. That’s good news! The results also tell us that 25.3% of children in Southwest Edmonton are having difficulty or extreme difficulty in one or more of the five developmental areas. We can do better! Check out the baseline results for each of the 11 sub-communities at: EdmSW_CommunityProfile_Spring2014_F.
Why is this Important?The first 2000 days matter! The first 2000 days is the time period from 0-5 years of age. This period is critical for brain development. Our children’s experiences in these early years have a lifelong impact on their:
- Learning and school success
- Family life and other relationships
- Mental & Physical Health
- and so forth…
What can Our Community Do?Nurturing and stimulating environments help children thrive and do well. It takes a community to build and support these environments to help our young children reach their potential. Together, we are all part of that community and we can help. We have new results about how the young children in Southwest Edmonton are developing and we’d like to share it with you. We’d also like to know what your neighbourhood has that supports the development of our youngest children – and we’d like to know what you think is missing. To help us with this, you can:
- Invite us to share the results with your community league, play group, school or business.
- Tell us about programs and services in your neighbourhoods.
- Connect with us on social media. LIKE us on Facebook or FOLLOW us on Twitter.
- Share your events/programs with SWEY and we will share them with our growing network.
- Join SWEY and help us make a difference in Southwest Edmonton.
- Help us increase awareness about the importance of early childhood development and early childhood development initiatives.
- Share your ideas about the early years with your friends, neighbours and community
- Subcommunity A: U of A Farm, Allendale, Lendrum, Pleasantview (see page 8)
- Subcommunity B: Brander, Brookside, Brookview, Bulyea, Hodgson, Ramsay, Rhatigan, Riverbend (see page 9)
- Subcommunity C: Aspen, Blue Quill Estates, Grandview, Lansdowne, Westbrook (see page 10)
- Subcommunity D: Empire Park, Malmo (see page 11)
- Subcommunity E: Blue Quill, Greenfield, Royal Gardens, Skyrattler, Sweet Grass (see page 12)
- Subcommunity F: Duggan, Ermineskin, Rideau Park, Steinhauer (see page 13)
- Subcommunity G: Carter Crest, Falconer, Haddow, Leger, Oak Hills (see page 14)
- Subcommunity H: Hodgson, MacTaggart, Magrath, Ogilvie, Terwillegar (see page 15)
- Subcommunity I: Twin Brooks (see page 16)
- Subcommunity J: Bearspaw, Keheewin (see page 17)
- Subcommunity K: Ambleside, Chapelle, Heritage Valley (Allard, Blackburne, Blackmud Creek, Callaghan, MacEwan, Richford, Rutherford), Windermere (see page 18)
South West Early Years is a group of parents, educators, librarians, health and child care providers, service organizations, and other community partners who alongside Early Childhood Coalitions of Alberta (ECCA), who now represents the nearly 100 coalitions across Alberta.Thank you to those who came out in February and again in October 2019 for our I am a Parent workshops!
We’d love to hear from you! What are your stories? What are the great things about the community you live in for babies, toddlers, preschoolers? What are the barriers to getting the support young children in your community need? What information would help you in raising your children or caring for your grandchildren? If your community could do “one thing” for you ( a program, activity, place to meet, etc.) what would it be?
Please contact us for the following:
- Find out more about South West Early Years
- Become a Member and join us
- Become a Friend and receive our information and share your thoughts
- Volunteer and lend a hand at one of our community connection events and get to know your neighbours