We work together to support communities in creating the best conditions for early child development.
Our membership currently includes the Edmonton Public Libraries, Amity House, City of Edmonton Community Services, a North Central community member and new Grandma, E4C Alberta, and the Glengarry Childcare Society. We are always welcoming new member!
As a coalition, we are committed to:
- Understanding our community’s early development results
- To use the results to engage our community, and
- Plan actions to better support local children and families.
Our action plan includes:
- Raising public awareness of the importance of the early years
- Sharing the data we have and encouraging community partners to use this data in decision making
- Identifying community strengths and unmet needs
- Increasing awareness of existing community resources
We understand that a child’s development is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetics, the family, the community, socio-economic conditions, and early child development services and policy. We take the approach that ‘it takes a village to raise a child’ which is why we have come together as a coalition. We recognize that if we all work together we can have a much greater impact. Our work is based on collaboration, relationships, trust, and shared values. We work together to increase cohesion in what is often a fragmented system and to engage community members in the importance of the early years.
We know in North Central Edmonton that 31% of our children reach school age without the physical, social, emotional, and language development that they need. As a Coalition we know we can do better, and that in order to, we all have to work together.
Our coalition will be successful with a broad range of stakeholders at the table; we invite all our community partners to join, including parents, grandparents, educators, business people, municipal leaders, and other community stakeholders. We all have a role to play in the successful development of our young children.